WHAT IS VIRTUOSO?
Virtuoso is a regional awards program that recognizes excellence in communications and the best in creative strategy and design. Since 1995, Virtuoso has honoured communications and creative professionals from London and across southwestern Ontario for their achievements and celebrated best practices that advance business communications.
Entries are accepted in 28 categories across four divisions. The divisions include:
- Communication Management: Focusing on project, programs and campaigns that are guided by a communication strategy. Entrants must demonstrate how their project applied a full range of planning and management skills, including research, analysis, strategy, tactical implementation and evaluation. Entries may include a wide range of communication materials.
- Communication Research: Focusing the importance of research and measurement as a foundation for strategic communication work and a competency that’s integral to success throughout the career of a communication professional.
- Communication Training and Education: Focusing the mentorship and education role of consultants and senior communicators in developing and delivering workshops, classes, seminars or training that educates an audience about any aspect of the communication profession.
- Communication Skills: Focusing on marketing and communication elements that showcase technical skills such as editing, writing, design and multimedia production. Entries in this division are generally tactical in nature. Entrants must demonstrate strategic alignment, the creative process and measurable results.
Categories include but are not limited to media relations, issue management and crisis communication, special events, social media, and writing.
WHAT DO I NEED TO KNOW ABOUT ENTERING VIRTUOSO 2017?
- No project is too big or small to submit for consideration.
- You do NOT need to be an IABC member to participate in the Virtuoso Awards program.
- Projects produced and implemented between January 1 and December 31, 2016 are eligible. You may also submit work produced before 2016 if the work and/or measurement extended into 2016.
- This year, we have introduced a new online entry form to streamline the process and also reduce the hassle of printing and delivering printed submissions
The entry deadline is 4:30 p.m. Friday March 3, 2017 – no extensions.
Hardcopy entries are no longer accepted.
Each entry requires a work plan and work sample. All details about divisions and categories, entry specifications, entry fees and judging can be found online at www.virutuosoawards.com.
Entry fees (Not part of script – for reference only)
IABC member: $80
HOW ARE VIRTUOSO WINNERS RECOGNIZED?
Award recipients will be celebrated at the Virtuoso Awards Celebration, which is being held in June 2017. An informal evening of fun, networking and recognition, the Virtuoso Celebration is southwestern Ontario’s can’t-miss event of the year for communications and creative professionals. Winners are also highlighted in media material and featured in various IABC London’s communication vehicles. Tickets will go on sale in early May.
WHAT IS IABC?
IABC London is the local chapter of the International Association of Business Communicators, with over 130 members who work in the communications industry in the city and surrounding area. The chapter provides its members with opportunities to network within the professional community, tap into the collective experience of peers and hone their knowledge and skills through professional development sessions.
Internationally, the association is a network of approximately 15,000 business communicators in more than 80 countries.
NEW IN 2017:
THE IABC LONDON OUTSTANDING COMMUNICATOR AWARD
The IABC London Outstanding Communicator Award will be awarded for the first time in June 2017. This prestigious award recognizes an individual who exemplifies excellence in communications and demonstrates strong commitment to communications in their professional work. Whether involved in the private, public or not-for-profit sector, the recipient of this award will have made significant contributions to business communications by fostering, initiating and/or participating in effective and successful communications programs.
- A senior leader who promotes a culture of communication within their organization.
- The nominee has demonstrated exceptional leadership, management and communications skills and has contributed to the overall positive reputation of the communications profession.
- Has shepherded an exemplary communications plan or project, sometimes in the face of controversy or significant change, that demonstrates creativity and innovation and contributed to the organization’s success.
- Has demonstrated a commitment to highest ethical and professional standards and sets standards of excellence to which others can aspire.
- The nominee’s organization must be located in London or the surrounding region.
Note: Both IABC members and non-members can be nominated
Nomination Deadline: April 14, 2017
Information and about the award as well as the nomination form can be found on IABC London’s website.